Tuesday, January 19, 2016

A change in eating

Ever since coming to Truman, i fear my relationship with food has changed from living to eat to eating to live. For some reason, whenever i eat sodexo food, i am never satisfied nor rarely happy with my experience. when i lived on my own, i used to take the most simple things and make them delicious. i used to make ramen with an egg or two cracked in at just the right moment so that the semi-cooked yellow yolk would coat the noodles, toss in spinach and sriracha, and it was some of the best noodles I've ever had. i could still make that here at Truman, but i don't have the time or money to do so on a regular basis anymore. i remember my meal tonight as emphasizing this change. without zeal, without enjoyment, i ate vegetable lo main without really tasting anything, and left the dining hall.  once they enjoyment of creation and eating of food are gone, you no longer live to eat, and you now like me, eat to live.

2 comments:

  1. I understand you pain, Alex. We are all suffering.
    But great work, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I actually wrote a very similar post about Sodexo food as well. It's definitely a down side of being a college student

    ReplyDelete